Depression among the elderly can significantly impact the quality of their life, and this can put a toll on their mental and physical health. The lack of conversations about the topic can further add to the difficulty of the situation.
As such, recognizing the signs of depression ourselves is important to ensure our loved ones do not feel left out and we can take action as soon as possible.
To note, observing these symptoms does not necessarily diagnose a loved one with depression but can be a solid ground to seek professional help. Only the professional’s diagnosis should be acknowledged.
- Aggravated and/or unexplained aches and pains
- Loss of interest in previously enjoyed activities such as socializing or hobbies
- Chronic feelings of despair, sadness, hopelessness, or helplessness with or without any attributable cause
- Problems with sleep – from difficulty falling asleep to oversleeping
- Skipping or neglecting personal care, such as forgoing meds or skipping meals
TopStar Home Care Agency takes care of your in-home care in Tennessee one program at a time.
Our respite care provides immediate support for short-term or long-term arrangements so you can do what you need to do.